Monday, February 9, 2009

Life's Uncertainties

I think each of us will reach a point in our lives where we will face a great deal of uncertainty of the future; a pivotal time of our lives where we are at the crossroads, trying to plant our feet in the direction of the right and best path.

But how do we know which one to take? For some people, it’s as clear as crystal-they’ve found their vocation in life; they know exactly what they love and want. (These are usually the most obvious favourites- lawyer, doctor, dentist, accountant…) But for most people, (by most I am referring the larger smattering of people that I know) they are still pondering, wondering, worrying about the next step to take in life.

Everything is uncertain, confusing even, to think about. There is no clear ringing answer, no sense of assurance, no sight of vision and clarity, no peace of mind and heart. Well, actually most of my friends are still pretty laid-back about their future, or blur to say the least. (Or maybe they are in a state of denial, waiting for others to make the decisions for them, or until reality come a great big smacking in their faces!) I for one choose not to remain oblivious or ignorant to my responsibility of making life decisions.

But then, we should never let our convictions and decisions be guided by our attractions or selfish desires. How do we really know what we want? We may have a pretty good grasp of what we want right now -probably because it’s better to have an aim than nothing to aim for at all; even though it offers a false sense of security, it helps appease the worrying hearts of parents and save us the obligation of living up to our parent’s plans and dreams for us.
(One simple example would be my dad constantly telling me about the journeys and benefits of a lawyer, in the hopes that I would aim to be one too.) Luckily enough, I made up my mind long ago to reach into the corporate world. At least, this is what I think I want. (Who wouldn’t want to be a multi-millionaire CEO right?)

But even if we do know what we want, how do we know if what we’re aiming for is truly what’s right and best for us? Is it what our hearts yearn and truly long for? More importantly, is it what God wants for our lives?

Surely, God knows what’s best for us and holds us in our best interests everything that happens in our lives.(Romans8:28) And since we are called according to His purpose, are we not highly-ordained by God and empowered to do great things to glorify His Name? (Honestly, I’d much rather prefer being a fulltime missionary like Mother Theresa, working with people and helping to fulfil the needs of the needy. It would be so much more fulfilling and worthwhile than running in the highly stressful and unrelenting rat race.) But then again, we can’t all be missionaries. The world still needs its corporate and political leaders, its many MPPJs, its amazing chefs and its Hollywood stars. Indeed, the world would not survive if not for diversity. (Thus the falling of the Babel Tower has proved itself most necessary and worthy of today!)

Ok, this post is becoming incredibly long and impossible to finish now.(I really need my beauty sleep!!!) This is one reason why I’ve been lackadaisical towards the world of blogging. Whenever I start writing or stressing on a particular thing or topic, I end up talking about many other things as well; the reason why I can go out of topic in my essay papers. Sigh.

SO where does this leave me?

I was dilemma-ing but have now an inkling towards the world of International Business and Marketing majors; a Sunway University twinning programme with Victoria University, Melbourne.

God, it this where and what You’d like me to do?

No comments: